Thursday, October 29, 2015

I WALKED IN A DAZE - CHAPTER 4 - # 1

CHAPTER  4:

1. - As I changed planes for Dallas at JFK International in New York, I was overcome at the sights and sounds around me. Those of us who grow up in Europe and Asia hear stories about the affluence and prosperity of the United Sates, but until you see it with your own eyes, the stories seem like fairy tales. Americans are more than just unaware of their affluence__they almost seem to despise it at times. Finding a lounge chair, I stared in amazement at how they treated their beautiful clothes and shoes. The richness of the fabrics and colors was beyond anything I had ever seen. As I would discover again and again, this nation routinely takes its astonishing wealth for granted. As I would do many times__almost daily__in the weeks ahead, I compared their clothing to that of the native missionary evangelists whom I had left only a few weeks before. Many of them walk barefooted between villages or work in flimsy sandals. Their threadbare cotton garments would not be acceptable as cleaning rags in the United States. Then I discovered most Americans have closets full of clothing they wear only occasionally__and I remembered the years I traveled and worked with only the cloths on my back. And I had lived the normal life-style of most village evangelists.

No comments:

Post a Comment